Thursday, June 13, 2013

drawing myself (spoilers: or a dinosaur!)

The other day, Jesse showed me his self-portrait... and it was amazing.

So, after crying for a little while at my own lack of art skills... I decided to draw myself!

...it didn't exactly go as planned.



As you can see, the facial ressemblance is totally there, especially in the teeth. (This is referring to the unfortunate period of time in which I had braces. My mouth was unfortunately pointy because of the weight of metal, and saliva frequently dripped from my glamourously coloured elastics... when they weren't snapping in people's faces, that is. SEXY TIMES.) Also, the butterfly wings. (I can see myself as a child wearing these.) Obviously, this is also a one-of-a-kind creation, which also fits my personality and style. (How many winged dinosaurs have you seen lately? Probably none. How many Tatianas wearing cat ears have you seen? Also probably none. There is some margin for error here, but it's Infinitesimal. ("Nothing really touches, bro, just kinda floats...")

The worst part, though? I was babysitting while I drew this (we were having an Art Time. I did not just abandon the poor child to fend for herself in order to create this masterpiece) and the girl's reaction, after looking at it dubiously for a few minutes: "Well, you did say you hadn't drawn in a while..."

Sigh. Apparently I should not rely on my drawings to get me by.

If you drew yourself, either seriously or in jest, how would you do it?

9 comments:

  1. can i just like this and keep this forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would close my eyes and hope for the best .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's rather cute. who says drawing as to be perfect? I think self-portraits are hard even if you're a professional because there's always something you won't like.


    hope you have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a lot of fun with this.

    I'd draw my self by looking in the mirror, without looking down at the paper. It's interesting how well you can draw that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the child's comment. Did you tell her it was a self portrait? I'm not sure how I'd draw a self portrait. I'd have to give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really, really funny.
    "Well you did say you hadn't drawn in a while" haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL brilliant! I love this sooo much :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your drawing is absolutely delightful...

    Who wants the same old boring self-portrait?

    Delightful post for the letter "D"!

    Thanks for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They make my day brighter, and I promise to answer every single one :)